Saturday, March 7, 2009

Saturday Workout

I had another Saturday workout with my husband. When we get to the gym, I start my hour of cardio and he does 30 minutes of cardio and then moves on to weights. That leaves him free to help me when I'm ready to lift weights. I always feel kind of dorky in the gym. To find the machine I need, I always have to read the little signs on them with the name of the exercise, the pictures of the muscles it works, and the detailed instructions on how to use the machine properly. Each gym is a little different, so I almost always feel kind of lost. My trainer wants me to start adding more strength training exercises, so my husband helped me with those this morning. Because I'm not very athletic or coordinated, it takes me a long time to understand how to do some exercises using free weights. My husband has resorted to pushing on my shoulder to keep it down when I do tricep kick-backs because if I focus on keeping my elbow in, I forget to keep my shoulder down. We spent a long time this morning on him teaching me how to do "snatches." If you've ever watched those Olympic weightlifters, the snatch is how they get the bar to shoulder level. I'm so glad the hubby didn't give up on me...it was a great exercise, even though I struggle to keep the right form. I left the gym pretty pleased with myself and decided to get creative with breakfast. I added chopped bell peppers and finely chopped fresh spinach to my scrambled eggs and they were delicious as well as nutritious. I found it hard to just sit around the house, so I just finished taking my beagle for a walk. I can honestly say I feel great!!!

1 comment:

  1. Karen, you're doing so great! I haven't ventured onto the unknown gym equipment, yet. It was hard enough to go into the fitness center weight room alone to use the free weights without looking awkward. I think I need someone to show me the equipment before I try it out!

    ReplyDelete