Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Off We Go!!

First, I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Karen and I live in Provo. I am 41 years old, married, and have two sons (ages 16 & 19). I work full-time for Heritage Schools, Inc., a nonprofit psychiatric residential treatment center for teens. Since I ride a desk all day, exercise is mostly an after-hours activity. I grew up on the Oregon coast and moved to Utah about 22 years ago.

My mom passed away in 1999 at the age of 54 from complications due to her multiple sclerosis. She struggled with weight problems most of her married life. My dad passed away on Feb. 10 at the age of 62 after a lifetime of heart problems and alcoholism. I'm going into my older years with no clue as to what health problems may lie in store.

Being selected to do the 100-Day Heart Challenge is so exciting! I've struggled with getting motivated enough to do something about my weight and overall wellness. By chronicling my journey in this public forum, there is a little extra pressure to keep going. Sharing this experience with 14 other ladies is also really fun. I've never done well without some sort of support system. So here's hoping that this is just the motivation I need to build some great habits so I can be with my family for many, many years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment