Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Recap of the first two weeks

We had all our tests and weigh-in on Feb. 13. I couldn't believe how bad my numbers were and I found myself wondering how long I had been in this bad of shape. It scares me to think that my health was this bad and I didn't even know it.

The nutrition portion has been a little confusing so far. We started out using a diabetic exchange system. That wasn't too difficult to get used to, but last week's nutrition class switched the focus to calories. I'm allowed up to 1600 calories per day. When I started keeping a detailed food journal, I realized how easy it was to go through 1600 calories. I also noticed that what I had been eating before this challenge was probably 5 times that...ouch! I had a fundraiser I attended for work last week and I started to panic because it was called the "Chocolate Extravaganza." Fortunately, I ate conservatively during the day and the portions at the event were very small. I got little tastes of all the goodies and the dinner food, but I didn't go back for refills or stuff myself. I'm so proud of myself!!

My first workout with my trainer, Whitney, was tough. I was on the bike and the elliptical trainer for a total of 55 minutes. Normally, I would have been out of there after 10 minutes, but Whitney was there to keep pushing me. Talking to her makes the time go so much faster! For my Saturday workouts, my husband goes with me, so I still have a personal trainer :-)

2 comments:

  1. I think we would all find out the same thing if we took the time to look at what we're eating on a daily basis. Keep up the good work - I can't wait to hear how you're feeling in the near future - Janet Frank

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sure helps having someone encouraging you, doesn't it? I found the journal very helpful too. You are doing great. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete