Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Body Image

In today's nutrition class we discussed body image. It's important to be realistic about how you look and be positive about your body even if you don't look the way you'd like to. A friend of mine at work said, "I'm always have my body image wrong. When I'm skinny, I think I look fat. When I'm fat, I never think I look as bad as I really do." I know I would give anything to have the body I did when I was 18. Of course, I thought I looked fat because the smallest size I could ever wear was a size 12. My body frame couldn't shrink any smaller than that without removing ribs and other important things. Now, I can't even imagine being in a size 12 again. I would be thrilled to be in a 16 or a 14 again. Jalaine had us list the body parts we didn't like and then she had us say something positive about each part. It seemed silly, but it helped us to not put ourselves down so much. I may have a big butt, but that's an advantage when playing musical chairs. My thunder thighs have ample room for sitting with my dog in my lap. Even though I don't want to remain this size, I need to enjoy who I am and try to avoid thinking of myself as some fat, ugly, repulsive person.

At 18 years old



Now

1 comment:

  1. Karen - I love reading what your write. I think that activity on body image would be difficult but something we should all do. Keep up the great work and the great writing! Janet

    ReplyDelete