Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Intuitive Eating

In nutrition class this morning we went over some information from the book "Intuitive Eating." There are several different types of eaters identified in the book. I have some traits of the Professional Dieter, but I mostly fall into the category of Unconscious Eater. With the Professional Dieter mentality, I have often looked for some quick and easy way to lose weight. It truly doesn't exist. The only sure-fire way to lose weight is through diet and exercise. I have often had that "Last Supper" in anticipation of giving up all the foods I love. When the new diet doesn't work, I go crazy eating again. There are four types of Unconscious Eaters, and have managed to be all of them. I eat when I'm stressed and/or emotional and when I'm busy, although I often go all day at work without eating at all because I'm too busy. By the time I get home, I'm ready to eat everything in the house. I'm also very reluctant to turn down food when it's offered or available and I was raised with a "clean your plate" mentality, so I don't like to waste food. In the past, I have been known to buy a box of donuts because it's a better deal than just buying one donut. Unfortunately, the purchase is usually followed by me eating half or all of the donuts in the box. Food leftover from meetings is often sent my way at work. I am finally learning that it's okay to try some food and it's equally okay to decline the offer. The idea of eating intuitively is to listen to your body's signals rather than get wrapped up in calorie, carb, or fat counts. No food is forbidden, therefore no "last supper" is needed. This change in thinking won't happen overnight, but it has already helped me to make some wise choices and to not feel guilty about indulging a craving as long as I don't get carried away.

No comments:

Post a Comment