Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Back from New York

Sorry to have disappeared for a few days, but I was chaperoning the Provo High School Chamber Singers on their tour to New York City. The choir was invited to sing at Carnegie Hall as part of a National Youth Choir. They were also selected as the featured choir for the event and had their own segment of the performance. With all the rehearsals to get ready for the performance, the time we had for sightseeing was very limited. We had to rush everywhere! We walked a ton on this trip! Lots of walking and taking the subway. If you've never taken the subway, you don't realize that you can get a workout just by standing and trying to keep your balance as the train moves about. There were six different choirs as part of this event who were staying in the same hotel. They rehearsed in a big meeting room and the elevators were packed full as the kids came and went. I ended up taking the stairs many times to get down to the lobby or back to my room. Toughest workout I ever had (we were on the 22nd floor). Eating right was a terrible challenge during this trip. We hardly ever stopped and I was really hungry by the time we got to eat. In order to keep the group together, we didn't really offer too many choices of where to go eat. When we arrived Friday morning, we didn't get to eat anything until around 10 am. We ate at the cafe at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I had a croissant and a bagel since there weren't too many other choices. I was happy that I skipped out on the muffins and donuts. After we left the museum, I had a hot dog from a vendor cart outside. That ended up being my lunch. That night we ate dinner in the theater district. I had a salad and a slice of vegetable medley pizza. The thing I liked about eating in New York is that they post the calorie counts on the menu at most places. I knew I had room for the slice of pizza and I split a piece of New York cheesecake with my son. Saturday morning's breakfast was oatmeal I brought from home. Having a coffeemaker in the hotel room made this easy. My "roomies" also brought a variety of food so they could eat healthy. The kids had rehearsals most of the day so we picked up pizzas from a place down the street. I had a slice and that kept me going. For dinner that night, they had arranged for us to eat at the Hard Rock Cafe. They had a set menu for groups and I chose a pulled pork sandwich. I didn''t think the salad selection would be enough and I definitely wanted to avoid the more fattening choices. Sunday's breakfast was more oatmeal. After more sightseeing, we ended up eating lunch at a deli near Ground Zero (also near our hotel). I skipped the greasy burgers and had a turkey wrap and some fruit. The kids had one more rehearsal and then had to get ready for their Carnegie Hall performance. It was late when we got back to the hotel and we had a late "dinner" of sub sandwiches. I split mine with a friend since we were going right to bed. More oatmeal Monday morning and some yogurt. We toured the city more and the kids sang in Trinity Church, outside of St. Paul's, and then visited St. Patrick's Cathedral. I had a hot dog off a cart before we took a tour of Radio City Music Hall. We left for the airport late in the afternoon and ate dinner there before boarding our plane back to Utah. I didn't make my best choice on this one. I had a cheeseburger and shared some fries and onion rings with my son. I figured it wasn't too bad since I hardly ate all day. I also had a Jamba Juice smoothie. We got back home about 1:30 this morning. I was beyond tired and my legs hurt like crazy. Fortunately, after some sleep, I felt a lot better. It was nice to see Whitney at the gym tonight. It will be good to get back into my routine. I was disappointed that all that walking didn't help me lose any weight, but I know I got stronger since I was able to do the elliptical on level 8 tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment