Thursday, April 16, 2009

Stress Eating

One of my bigger problems has always been that I eat when I'm stressed/emotional. The more stressed I am, the more I eat. That includes when I'm stressed out about my weight. Here is my mental conversation:
"Ugh! How did I get so heavy? My clothes barely fit. I'll never be able to lose this much weight. Five or ten pounds wouldn't be hard to lose, but I need to lose 100 pounds. I'll never make it! Why do I even bother? I feel so awful and depressed. Maybe some chocolate ice cream will make me feel better."
Then I eat half a carton of ice cream. Pretty stupid, but that's how I was handling things. Lately I've been pretty stressed out and wanting to stuff my face with donuts, chocolate, ice cream, etc. I even walk into the store intending to buy something to drown my sorrows with. The difference now is that I haven't demonized the food - no food is evil - so it doesn't quite have the allure it once did. Even though I walk in intending to buy a donut, after looking at my choices I just don't feel like getting one. It doesn't seem worth jeopardizing my hard work for it and I know that if I really want a taste of it, I can still have it. This is very new for me and I'm pleased I haven't ended up sabotaging myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment