Saturday, May 30, 2009

Final Steps

Today I fulfilled my final commitment as part of the Heart Challenge. We ran the 1st annual Race for Red. I was happy to see Ann and Ingrid, friends of mine from church, also running the race. In this picture, I am wearing a Broncos visor, Ingrid is in the yellow tank top, and Ann is all in red. I was excited to participate and prove myself after these 100 days. I kept to the pace Traci set up for me, although it's kind of hard to just walk when all these people are running past you. My downfall in this 5K was my allergies. I've been battling them a lot the last week or so and it made it hard to breathe. Even so, it was exhilarating to see my fellow challenge participants along the way. We all smiled and cheered each other on - there is nothing quite like that. I believe that is why this challenge works so well for women and is not quite a guy thing. My husband came and walked the last half mile or so with me. About 200 yards from the finish line, there was Cressent. She cheered extra loud and encouraged me to run. I can't believe I sprinted to the finish. I haven't actually run since high school. After giving it all I had and digging in, I coasted the last few yards to finish at a time of 43:49, about 3 minutes slower than the 5K at work. Several of our group won medals in their age divisions, but for most of us just finishing was a victory. It's hard to have this challenge end. I will miss Whitney pushing me to give more in the gym. I will miss Traci's encouraging emails. I will miss Jalaine's nutrition classes, but I feel that I have learned the basics I need to succeed. The friendships I have developed along the way...I hope they continue to grow. We have talked about reconnecting in another 100 days, 6 months, 1 year, etc. Lynda, you have been a huge inspiration to me. You went from no exercise to working out like crazy. I'm so happy you are getting to enjoy your garden tours without running out of energy. Cressent, you have been a sister and an angel. We were together from beginnning to end on this challenge. I'm sorry you had an extra hurdle to jump, but thrilled that you get a chance to do this again next year. I look forward to continuing our "Bad Health Sucks" efforts. While you're fighting cancer, I will be battling my own demons and I know we will be victorious. For all my friends, family, and curious others reading this blog -- I hope you have learned from what I have written. Any of you can do what I have done. Just start with one change, then another, and keep going and improving your lives. My parents died early as the result of health problems. Joint me in preventing what you can so you can live the longest, healthiest life you can. Get tested and find out how your health is and then do something about it. Even if you are healthy now, don't take it forgranted. Work to stay alive!

2 comments:

  1. I have really enjoyed reading your triumphs through this heart challenge. I'm really grateful for the pictures you included here - I didn't have anybody there to take pictures and I'm glad you have these of all of us together. Hopefully I can copy and print up for my own scrapbook. It was great getting to know everyone throughout this challenge. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen,

    Truly inspiring! You rock! :)

    ReplyDelete